Friday, February 25, 2011

Amazing Night

Wednesday night was Nick's Eagle Court of Honor and it was an awesome night! Unlike regular Court of Honors' where you are awarded merit badges and rank advancements that are organized by the scout committee, Eagle Court of Honors' are totally left to the parents of the Eagle Scout to plan and carry out. As I researched what is normally done at these Court of Honors' I found out there is no "standard"...it is pretty much completely up to you. I tend to prefer "structure" rather than "come up with your own ideas", but I knew right away the ONE thing we absolutely had to have that night...a live eagle! When Nick was 6 or 7 we attended an Eagle Court of Honor of a family friend and there was a live eagle there. He turned to Brian and I and asked, "When I get my eagle, can I have an eagle there?" It was great motivation for Nick to work towards that goal and we were going to follow through with that promise. It proved to be AMAZING!!!!! It was absolutely the night of Nick's life to be that close with such an amazing bird. We are very proud of Nick to have earned the rank of Eagle let alone to do it at the age of 13. We love him so much and were so happy to celebrate this great accomplishment with him!!













The two men who inspired Nick to get his Eagle by 13...my dad and brother who also earned their Eagle by the age of 13.











3 comments:

  1. Oh my word. I am overcome with emotion that you got an eagle to Nick's Court of Honor. Extraordinary. Now...WHERE IN THE WORLD DID YOU GET THE EAGLE????????

    Nick, fly like that eagle, high and free and bold. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam! The guy that brought the eagle (Steve) is actually associated with Hogle Zoo and was able to get a license to keep that eagle because it has a broken wing and would not be able to hunt to sustain herself. It was AMAZING to see it up close and in person!!!! Steve actually does this as a side business and we actually arranged the date of the court of honor around his schedule!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only say this: Utah has it all!

    ReplyDelete