Sunday, October 23, 2011

Just one of those "Bird Flies into the House" Kind of Days

I should have known what kind of day it was going to be when Brian and I were sitting at the counter this morning reading the newspaper and eating breakfast and a bird literally flies right into the house and up to our bonus room. Brian had left the sliding door open when he let Rocko out and instead of Rocko coming back in, a bird does. It startled the heck out of both of us and we both dove behind the counter (with me screaming and Brian saying a few choice words...starting with the word "Holy" - it is Sunday after all). The first thing we said after we stopped screaming and then laughing was, "Let's get Nick!" We ran downstairs and woke him up and had him grab his "net" he made (which by the way is a pillowcase duct taped onto a stick - only Nick). :) Then the 3 of us headed up stairs to the bonus room. The bird was frantically trying to get out the window and kept backing up and flying directly into the window then flopping back on the floor. Brian told Nick and I to stand in the doorway in case the bird tried to fly out of the bonus room while he went over to open the window and take the screen out. Ummmm....yeah right I'm going to stand there and keep a bird from leaving a room...did he just meet me or what about me tells him that I'm the right person to keep a bird from leaving a room???? So when the bird made a beeline right at my face to get out of the room I did the polite thing and dropped to the floor behind Nick and used my son as a human shield to protect me from the bird...as I am screaming of course...yep, mom of the year right here...and allowed the bird to leave the room. Brian could not believe we let him get out of the room since he had asked us not to..yes, shocking!!!! Brian and Nick ran downstairs to find it and couldn't see it anywhere. I was still upstairs and could see it hiding behind my flowers on top of the kitchen cabinets. So Brian had Nick open the sliding door as wide as it could go and Brian coaxed it out of hiding with the "net" and out it flew.

So here's what I've learned...when you start the day with a bird flying into your house, you know it's going to be "one of those days." It kind of went downhill from there. My lesson didn't go very well at church, the dinner that I spent a long time preparing was DISGUSTING (it was a new recipe I was trying), and the chocolate cake (from scratch...another new recipe) that I made to make up for the disgusting dinner was equally bad...seriously, who can screw up chocolate cake????? I'm ready to go to bed and start over tomorrow. And luckily we're going OUT to eat tomorrow...thanks for having a birthday Marci! :)

3 comments:

  1. Your bad day was a great read for me. You really got me laughing. I hope tomorrow's a much better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..wow..

    Since birds flying over my head is one of my fears (terrors?) I can't imagine one in my house..

    ..and I'm glad my birthday is a reason for everyone to celebrate!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete