Thursday, July 5, 2012

Happy 4th of July

Last Friday I saw a coupon on the Living Social site for 1/2 off paddle board rentals at Jordanelle Reservoir and purchased 4 of the coupons almost immediately. (Which I'm glad I did since they told me there were 600 coupons put on the sight and they sold out in a day and a half.) I have always wanted to try this so I was pretty excited to give it a go. I quickly found out that it's a lot harder than it looks and my 2nd key learning was that I'd lost all ability to balance...haha. I was proud that I actually achieved the standing position twice but the second time I quickly ended up in the lake...I'm not sure that I ever actually paddled from the standing position. Nick however was a pro and loved it. Hailey was a little freaked out about being in the middle of the lake on this little board and didn't want to try to stand up...which is ironic since she is the competitive swimmer in the family. Brian was doing pretty well until he wiped out watching me wipe out and then watched his oar sink to the bottom completely out of sight...I'm thinking they should have warned us the oars didn't float and he probably would've gone after it faster. They did end up charging him less than they wanted to because the company they ordered the oars from didn't tell them they did not float like normal oars either...so with the oar charge we pretty much paid what the original cost would've been without the coupon. Oh well, it was a very fun way to spend the afternoon!

 This was pretty much the only way I could get back to shore. :)
 After paddle boarding we ate lunch by the lake then headed home to get ready for a BBQ that evening.
 Nick of course was most excited about the fireworks (legal, safe fireworks)!
 We haven't bought the "Old Navy" patriotic shirts in a few years but I decided we needed to this year, only to find that they were sold out of the kids sizes so they got plain red ones.

 ...and I even made a patriotic cake that I was pretty excited about how it turned out! :)
 The night ended with the fireworks display and as I'm going through the pictures from the evening I'm realizing I have none of our family that came over to celebrate with us other than my two cute nieces in this picture. :) It was fun to spend the holiday with family that we love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment