Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Gift of an Ordinary Day...

I have been noticing a theme lately from some of the posts on different social media I follow...and that is the thankfulness for the ordinary days. We all know life can be hard and some people around me are facing great trials that are testing them to their very core. When these trials hit, whether it's cancer, a hospitalized child, unemployment, or losing a loved one, the longing is simply for an ordinary day, where you get up,  make your kids breakfast, pack their lunches and send them off to school. It's driving carpool, attending sports games or recitals, doing the laundry and making dinner. So on this Thankful Thursday, I am very grateful for the ordinary days. I am thankful that today I DID get to get up, make my kids breakfast, pack their lunches and send them off to school. I am thankful Hailey can text me during lunch at school to ask if she can go home with a friend after school and if I can pick her up later tonight. I am thankful I can pick Nick up from school and take him down to meet with a counselor at UVU to talk about concurrent enrollment during his high school years and I'm thankful I can come home afterwards and make dinner for my family. I'm thankful I am sitting right now in front of my portable heater writing this post and that I have a stack of resumes sitting beside my computer for positions I have to fill at work and that I can read them and set up phone interviews from home. My days are not glamorous, they are filled with laundry and cleaning and grocery shopping and getting in and out of the car 50 times a day (I can't wait for Nick to get his license) but I love these days and I am thankful for them.

I'm also thankful for some of the sweet surprises life has to offer. Like Nick walking to the store to buy me flowers for Valentine's day and making me a heart shaped egg in toast Sunday morning. I was also thankful for the opportunity I had to surprise my kids with heart shaped red velvet pancakes Valentine's morning and sending them to school on a sugar high. :)
 I'm also thankful that we got to celebrate Bryson's 20th birthday with a family lunch at Kneader's on Monday. I LOVE this kid and am thankful he has moved back in with us so we get a little more time with him these days.


I am thankful for every ordinary day that life has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment