Friday, January 2, 2015

New Years Day Trip to the Farm

Nick was responsible for feeding the animals and milking the cows at the farm on New Years Day. Somehow, he talked Brian and I into going with him. :)

The look on my face in this first picture gives a hint of the anxiety I have around large animals...specifically the cow Nick asked me to come help him get into the shoot to get ready to milk. :)

 But, as proof that I will do anything for my son...I ventured into the cow pen??...stall??...unit??...and "helped" round him up.
 In the meantime, Brian amused himself by taking selfies on my phone. :)
 Nick showed up the proper technique for milking...that kid is FAST!
 ...and I stepped up to give it a try...
 ...I didn't enjoy it!
 Brian milked cows as a kid at his uncles house in Blackfoot, Idaho so he was a natural as well...just not quite as fast or as efficient as Nick. :)
 I thought it was pretty clever that they distract the cow with food at the end of the shoot and they are perfectly content to stand there and eat and be milked.
 Nick then showed us how they filter the fresh milk through cheese cloth and just like that, you have fresh milk.
 A trip to the farm would not be complete without Nick cuddling with Diesel for a minute. That goat LOVES him! So cute!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment