Thursday, September 5, 2013

Odds and Ends of Summer

Hailey went to the ward summer party with Cammie's family and near the end the rain started coming down in sheets! By the time they ran to our house, they were drenched and looked like they just stepped out of the shower fully clothed. 


 After the rainstorm finished up there was an awesome double rainbow! It didn't show up very well in the picture but it was beautiful!
 Nick got his first egg from his new batch of chickens in July...about a month earlier than he expected so apparently we have an over-achiever chicken in this group. :)
 Nick also became a carpenter this summer and enlisted the help of his friends. He had been eyeing a "rat rack" online where you can house the rats and new babies (yep, I'm talking about rats and their babies) more efficiently as he breeds them to sell to others for their snakes to eat. Awesome. But the ones they sell online can run anywhere between $500 to $900. So, for around $40 he built his own...pretty impressive. I realized I don't have a picture of the finished product so I'll have to take one at some point and post it. I try to stay away from it since it's filled with rats now...AAAAHHHHH.
 Hailey got a few layers added to her hair and it is GORGEOUS!!!!! What I would give for her hair!! :)
 We also had a few dinners in Grandma and Grandpa Morrow's backyard and hung out with the cousins...Hannah, Megan, & Sydney.

 We finally hung some things on the wall in the basement so that felt like a great accomplishment! :)
 Nick decided he hadn't had enough of the true farm experience with our last batch of chickens so he went on KSL and found someone who was selling a rooster for $1. Since he can drive now I didn't have the opportunity to VETO his idea and he and his friends went and bought this rooster so they would have some fresh chicken to eat. When I first saw it sitting in Rocko's old puppy kennel I was so sad it would soon be Nick's dinner. But the next morning when it was Cock-a -doodle-dooing very early I was ready for it to be "gone". :) His guy friends were out of town for the "deed" and so Masey came over to help...so very impressive that this girl was willing to help with this chore. Bryson was out there helping direct as well. :) Luckily, I was at work! By the time I got home it was all neat and tidy in my freezer. A few days later, they thawed it out, put some oil and spices on it and cooked it up.


 Once it came time to actually eating it, I think the thought of it being alive just a few days before actually got to them a little...since we really aren't farm people. :) But they ate it and even talked me into trying a bite and low and behold, it tasted like chicken...haha. I think that experience is now out of his system and there will be no more slaughtering of chickens in my backyard again...at least if my prayers are answered that is!
 This is how Rocko spent his summer...cuddling up with Brian every chance he got! :)

 For Brian's birthday I made him this bouquet. His real birthday present (and Father's Day present) was season tickets to the BYU football games but we still wanted to give him a little something on his actual birthday. Nick and Hailey actually went shopping on their own and bought Brian a new work out shirt. I loved that they did this on their own...sweet kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment