Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thankful Thursday

This week I am thankful for "experts". Both the experts that we come in contact with and the experts that write material to help us become knowledgeable in things foreign to us. (Even if we do not want to become knowledgeable but are forced to...for example if your husband decides he wants chickens in the backyard and you are not a farmer...therefore your children and your husband need to learn how to take care of the chickens...and then they get the chicks on a day that your husband has to work and your kids have to go to school so you are left alone with the brand new baby chicks...just an example.) :)

But, before I get to the chicks...I am thankful for the expert orthodontist Dr. Swenson. Hailey was so nervous to get her braces on yesterday and but he and his staff are so awesome that they put her right at ease and she did great!!! She is now a proud metal mouth!!! They were definitely sore and achy last night but she actually feels much better this morning and I think she's going to make it through the next 18 months. :) One stubborn bracket did pop off last night though so we're heading back in this afternoon to get it glued back in place.

So we got the call that Nick has been waiting for yesterday that 3 of our 6 chicks were in and ready to be picked up. Brian's flight was delayed from Boise though so he didn't make it home in time to go get them. But he and Nick were up bright and early this morning and on there way north to go pick them up...we let Nick go to school a little late since this is like Christmas morning to him! It was all we could do to get him out the door after they safely delivered the chicks to their new home in our basement...he wanted to stay home and just watch them all day. :) I have fought getting these things till I'm blue in the face but I lost the battle and Nick and Brian are two happy campers. I will admit that they are really cute right now...the problem is that they'll grow in a matter of weeks and be big chickens and not cute little chicks. But that's when they'll be banished to the coup in the garden...yes I have a chicken coup in my garden...not a sentence I thought I'd ever say.





I guess you have to dunk their beaks into the water to let them know where the water is so that's what Nick is doing.














This seems to be the smartest one of the bunch...Brian spread food around the cage so they could peck at it but this one went right for the dish!














2 comments:

  1. Yeah, those chicks are cute now. Way to not lose perspective that soon they will be GROWN-UP and ugly.... You are the best mom to "lose" this battle.

    And I am so glad that Hailey's mouth feels better this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW.. That's about all I can say..

    I'm so totally burned out on the "pets" thing..

    I can't imagine taking on the "barnyard" type..

    And YAY for Hailey getting those braces!! :)

    ReplyDelete