Thursday, May 27, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Tomorrow is the last day of school and this week I am feeling especially grateful for the kids teachers...they just couldn't have gotten better ones this year!!! I can't believe it is Nick's last day of elementary school tomorrow and my "little" boy will be heading to Jr. High next year. Where did the time go?

They had a party yesterday to celebrate the 6th graders and it was awesome!! It was in front of the school and they barbecued burgers, had music blasting, and a giant slip & slide and let the kids go wild. They had a blast!!!

This is a picture of the slip & slide from the top of the hill. They put baby shampoo & water all over it to make it very slick...those kids flew down the hill. :)




Nick on his first slide down...he loved the slide but he hated slided all the way off the end and combining the soap & water with the grass & dirt. He really prefers to be clean. :) But it was so much fun that it was worth being dirty!

Yesterday was Hailey's 11th birthday and I am so thankful for my beautiful daughter. Brian and I woke her up by singing Happy Birthday with a candle in a muffin for her breakfast...that's been a tradition ever since they can remember and when she went to bed the night before she sent us a text from her bedroom that said, "See you bright & early." That was her way of making sure we remembered to do that. :)
We gave her a flip video camera and she was very excited. I think she'll have a blast making fun movies with her friends and she even used it to video Nick's 6th grade graduation last night. We love her so much and we are so grateful she is part of our family. I absolutely cannot imagine our family without her!!! She is funny and definitely gives me a run for my money sometimes but she is my favorite daughter ever! :)
After dinner we had cake and ice cream and I'm not sure how much she appreciated that we put "Happy Birthday Babydoll" on the cake. Brian has called her that forever but she might be getting a little too "mature" to be putting that on her cake. I just needed to remind her that she'd always be my babydoll no matter how old she is!!! :)



So after the birthday dinner we headed over to Nick's graduation. It struck me while I was there how grateful I am that my kids are proving to be much better than I was in school. When I was in sixth grade my teacher put my desk in the coat closet (it was a walk through coat closet) because that was the only way she could get me to stop talking to people. Nick, on the other hand, earned the "Soaring to Great Heights" award which one boy and one girl from each class is chosen by their teacher to receive and it represents "outstanding scholastic and personal achievement". They asked the parents to come up as well and when the principle said, "Give them one more kiss before they sit back down" I leaned over to kiss him and he was off that stage as quick as he could go. He informed me that he would've died of embarrassment if "his mom" would've kissed him in front of everybody. :) Apparently he's to old for that. I'm feeling like that's a theme with my kids right now. :)


After the graduation we hurried as fast as we could over to the church for the scout Court of Honor and Nick received his Emergency Preparedness Merit badge and his Life rank advancement. Next step is coming up with an Eagle project.
He and his friend Nick both earned the merit badge and both had just come from graduation so they looked pretty sharp up there together in their shirt & ties. :)


When we got home from everything that night Nick summed up his feelings about graduating, earning the award and getting his Life by simply saying, "This was a good night." Amen boy!






No comments:

Post a Comment