Sunday, May 30, 2010

Summer Fruit Experiment

Every time Nick is with me in the produce section of the grocery store he always asks if he can get things that I've either never heard of or never had any intention of buying...mainly because I am not adventurous enough to try new or different things. So over the winter I promised him that this summer we would get a few things from the produce section that we've never had before each time we went shopping. Well it's now summer so I guess I have to follow through with that promise. :)

Since we are big fans of the show Survivor we thought we'd start with a whole coconut. We've obviously had the shredded coconut before (and by the way...not my favorite thing) but we've never had the fresh whole coconut or tasted the juice...or milk...or whatever they call the watery stuff inside that you always see them drinking on that show. We also got a papaya and a couple of little yellow things that didn't have a label but said they're from Mexico.

The first challenge was getting inside the coconut...those things are hard as rocks. We finally hammered a little hole in it big enough to poor out the liquid. We were warned by the clerk checking us out that some coconuts are really good and some are really bad. Ummm...I think we got one of the really BAD ones because that juice was DISGUSTING!!!! Or maybe that's just how it's supposed to taste and people will drink anything when they're on an island playing a game for a million dollars.

We couldn't figure out how to crack open the coconut since we don't have a machete' like the ones the survivors use so Brian took it out to the shed and used his saw. Once we got it open we could get the insides out with a knife and low and behold...I don't like coconut...shredded or whole. Brian and Nick thought it was okay but Hailey and I spit it out. :)

We then tried the papaya and after taking one bite we decided that the grocery store is not the place to get new fruits to try. I'm pretty sure it was rotten...or maybe that's how papaya is supposed to taste and I'll just add that to my list of things never to put in my mouth again!! We did take it out and feed it to the chickens and they seemed to love it.
So after being a little adventurous the kids settled on good ole' oranges for their snack!!!

I obviously need to teach Nick a little more about manners while eating an orange! :)













1 comment:

  1. First, love the pictures! And Nick's idea to order "the strange" is such a good idea, even if some of it ends up as chicken feed. Of course, I will copy this idea and let you know what hideous thing we buy and try to eat!

    ReplyDelete