Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Hard to Say Goodbye

Brian and I met Bryson at the airport this morning at 5:00 am to say goodbye as he leaves for his next round of training for the Marines at Camp Pendleton. He was not necessarily looking forward to this next round of training and we were not looking forward to saying goodbye...again. But my heart does swell with pride and admiration as I see his dog tags around his neck hanging next to the small container of consecrated oil that is also hanging on a chain around his neck tucked safely inside his shirt. We love this boy with all of our hearts and are realizing that he is growing up to be a pretty awesome man!

4 comments:

  1. Bryson is awesome. I'm proud to be his cousin (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, let's get the obvious out of the way first: Bryson is so HANDSOME! Now to deeper matters. My heart aches for you, Julie, to have to say goodbye to him again. Wrenching. I am praying for that young soldier.

    Now, I do speak basic Mormon, but I only know about viles around the neck from Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton, and that was each other's blood--a whole other thing that no one wants to think about. And we all know this is not about that.

    I am guessing that the vile of consecrated oil is a sacred rite. Would you explain it to me? It sounds quite holy, but that's as far as I can get with it...how did he come about wearing it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, thank you so much for your comment, your prayers, and your question. You have probably already seen it, but I sent you an email explaining the consecrated oil.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your explanation, Julie. I was inspired just reading about it. How could no one ever have told me about such a powerful and practical part of the LDS faith? I appeciate that you filled me in.

    ReplyDelete