Monday, May 11, 2009

Once in a Lifetime Moment

A few weeks ago I had a "perfect moment" surprising my husband with something he has wanted for quite awhile. We bought a 4 wheeler about 9 years ago and ever since then he has wanted another one so we could both go on the trails at the same time. We haven't used our one as much as we would if we had two but I never wanted to spend the money on another one. :-) Since he's turning 40 this year I thought a "big" present was in order so I emailed a friend of his who would know what to look for and asked him to keep his eye out for a screamin' deal on a used 4 wheeler and told him the few specifications I knew he would want. I knew this would TOTALLY shock him because it is NOT in my nature to spend this much money on something. Also, he's jokingly asked in the past on different holidays if he should go look in the garage for his present. :-) He didn't think I'd ever get something like that in a million years!

Well, his friend sent me ads for a few potential 4 wheelers but he didn't sound very excited until one Friday morning when an email came through from him where he basically said, "This is the one." So I called on it and asked if they would hold it for me for a couple days till I could get down there because I was pretty sure I wanted it. (It was in Price which is about an hour and a half south of here.) They said they couldn't hold it for me and they were sure it would be sold that day because of the great condition it was in and the great price. So I went into panic mode and called my friend Chris to come help me attach the trailer and asked her if she would come to Price with me...which she did thank goodness. I had never driven the truck with the trailer attached before. The dealer told me to call them when I was on the road and they would hold it for me for the drive time down there. About 1/2 hour into the drive they called me back and asked if I was really on the road ready to buy because they had a buyer standing in front of them with cash in hand. I told them I was most definitely on the road and PLEASE HOLD IT! They did! :-) We made it back with the 4 wheeler still attached to the trailer (due to praying all the way back that the trailer was attached correctly and that we weren't going to see the trailer and 4 wheeler tumbling down the mountainside as we drove down the canyon) and took the 4 wheeler to my parents house to hide it in their garage.

3 days later (I was going to try to wait until Fathers Day to give it to him but anyone that knows me knows I don't know how to "wait"...also I was so excited, nervous, emotional, etc I wasn't sleeping so I had to give it to him in order to start sleeping again. :-) ) on the Monday before my birthday I sent Brian a text while he was working asking if we could hook up the trailer that night when he got home to go move a bed out of my parents house and over to my uncles house. He agreed but I could tell he wasn't too thrilled about doing it because his back had been hurting. As he was hooking up the trailer he was very agitated and ornery and didn't say two words the whole drive over to my parents house. I was giggling to myself the whole way over thinking about how bad he was going to feel for being so ornery. :-) When we got there we pulled up in front of the garage and my parents had put up all the signs the kids and I had made on the outside of the garage...the signs said "Congratulations on the marathon, Happy Fathers Day, Happy Memorial Day, Happy 4th of July, Happy Labor Day, Happy Anniversary, Happy Halloween, Happy Thanksgiving, & Merry Christmas" (I wanted to make sure he understood that every holiday was covered this year from this one purchase. :-) ) He asked what that was all about and was thoroughly confused seeing signs about fathers day and marathons, etc. To add to his confusion my parents were standing outside taking pictures. :-) After I made sure he read all the signs, I punched in the garage code and as the door opens he sees this 4 wheeler sitting there with 2 big read bows on with a sign on it that says "Happy Birthday". Now he's REALLY confused because it was MY birthday in 2 days. He turns to me and says, "Who's is that?" and I said "I bought you a 4 wheeler." He was FLOORED to say the least and all he kept saying was "No way" over and over. It was AWESOME!!!! A complete once in a lifetime moment that was the perfect surprise in every way...it was the exact one he wanted and was utterly unexpected. He was calling his friends on the way home telling them about it and had a couple of the neighbors come look at it when we got it home. It was so much fun to do this and it made me realize how much better it is to give than receive and how awesome it is to give someone you love so much something you know they're going to love so much. And yes, he felt REALLY bad for how ornery he was on the way over. :-)

What he saw when he opened the garage.

This is him being thoroughly confused with his hands on his hips...probably wondering what all this had to do with moving a bed. :-)

I love the look on his face in the picture...I think his face stayed like that for about a week. :-)


At this point I think he still couldn't believe I actually bought him a 4 wheeler. :-)


What a fun, fun day!!!

2 comments:

  1. You are the best wife ever! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a memory for the whole family--and such a good example of how to really surprise and delight someone--with exactly what they truly want. Julie, you kill me.

    PS Your parents garage is so empty! Back here in the east, most people can't even park in their garages because they're already full of junk.

    ReplyDelete