Friday, May 8, 2009

Thankful...ummmm Friday :-)

I'm a little late on my Thankful Thursday post...the week has gotten away from me. Today I am thankful to live in America. Wednesday night Nick participated in the Hope of America program down at the Marriott Center at BYU. 5th graders from across the county joined as a "human flag" chorus. (See picture below) There were also many dance performances along with the great songs the chorus sang about the opportunites everyone has from living in this land of the free. They also celebrated heros who have made this country what it is and encourage everyone to reach for their dreams. The kids have been learning the songs and rehearsing all the hand motions for months and all their hard work paid off as the spirit of the program came across and even caused a few tears to fall from my eyes. :-) I came away feeling very patriotic and grateful for this land that I live in and have the opportunity to raise my kids in...as well as for the long hours the organizers of this event put in to make it so special!


Nick was part of one of the white strips on the flag. He has the sunglasses for the song America Rocks and they brought flashlights for the last song where they turned off all the lights in the Marriott Center and the kids started singing in the dark. As the kids sang the start of the chorus of the song "I can be a Light" they all turned on their flashlights and a disco ball lit up on the ceiling and it was very cool!

2 comments:

  1. I am homesick for Utah! Maybe you have to have lived there to get a strong sense of how moving this event must have been. And just think--Stadium of Fire is only moments away, too! I cried at my first one--Donnie Osmond hung out of a helicopter as it circled and landed. Good grief! That could make anyone cry...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Hope Of America! It is a great event, even though the year I went we did not get home until midnight - totally worth it and inspiring. Glad Nick could be a part of it.

    ReplyDelete