Thursday, March 25, 2010

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful to have resources for just about anything in life at the touch of a fingertip or within a few miles from my house. I was reading one of those funny emails the other day about what we have now vs. what we had/didn't have 30 years ago and it really hit me that life has been made increasingly easier with the ongoing development of new technology. It referred to the fact that if we were doing a report when we were kids and had to research the topic we actually had to go to the library and find the books we were looking for using the card catalog. Now we can sit down with our children in our homes in front of the computer and at the touch of a button find a wealth of information on any topic. We also use our library regularly but we use computers to tell us exactly where to find the books we are looking for...like the biography on Clara Barton we recently checked out for Hailey's wax museum project at school.

I was also struck by this yesterday as I was waiting for the kids to finish piano lessons. I ran some errands while they were there and returned about 15 minutes early to pick them up. I had my Kindle with me so I sat at a picnic bench in the condo complex where they take their lessons and finished the book I was reading. I still had a few minutes before they were out so I browsed in the "store" on the Kindle and immediately downloaded another book to start. Amazing!!!

I'm thankful for the things that make my like more simple and for the brilliant minds who keep moving technology forward in positive ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment