Saturday, August 7, 2010

Babysitting, Biking, & Fishing

We (Hailey) got to babysit our favorite little Ellie this week and she was SO fun!!! She turned 1 this week and is doing more and more things every time we see her. We love this little girl! :)

This morning I set out to ride 35 miles on my bike by myself. Nick decided it would be a lot more fun to go fishing with dad then biking endlessly with me. I can't say that I blame him. I did some research this week to see if Brian was right about all that hydration and eating stuff before a big ride and low and behold he was...darn it. Only it did say that I could eat and drink an hour before rather than 2 hours before. So I got up and had a wheat bagel with peanut butter (which was another suggestion I found and was something other than oatmeal) and I drank water. I drank lots of water while I was biking and ate a few bites of a cliff bar and I felt WAY better at the end this week compared to last. I was still exhausted and my legs were burning, but I did notice a drastic difference in my energy level. So with this 35 miler my training is now complete and it's on to the 50 miler event next Saturday. Wish me luck because I'm going to need it!!! :)

Riding by myself today for that long was a little challenging. I do love listening to great music and taking in the scenery but just under 3 hours is a long time to be on a bike by yourself. So I amused myself by trying to take a self portrait with my camera while biking and not crashing. :) This is one of the only ones where I'm actually in the shot...attractive I know. hahaha
Some of the scenery that I passed a couple times trying to get in the miles. :)
The best part of the day...bike back on the rack and leaving with a sense of accomplishment that I actually did it! :)
These are the only 2 catches of the day for Nick. They gutted them and cooked them over our fire pit in the backyard and fed them to the chickens...who LOVED them!! :)






2 comments:

  1. Good luck Saturday, Julie! I can't wait to hear all about it. Great self-portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellie loves you guys so much! She was cute today with you in church.

    And good luck on Saturday. You will do fabulous!

    ReplyDelete