Sunday, August 1, 2010

Pass the Ibuprofen Please

As per our training schedule, Nick and I rode 30 miles on Saturday. Remember that ray of hope I had after the 25 miler we did last Saturday that I could actually do 50 miles? Well that might be a tiny little pen light of hope now rather than a whole ray of hope. It DID NOT feel good. The first 25 felt pretty good just like last week, but that additional 5 felt like it went on FOREVER!!! I barely had the energy to lift the bikes back up on the bike rack when we were done and I came home and took a handful of Ibuprofen and put ice on my knees. Nick, on the other hand, came home and walked around normally the show off. :) Oh to be 13 again!!! Brian is telling me that it's because I'm not eating and hydrating properly before I go on these rides. He says I should get up about 2 hours before we are planning on riding and eat some oatmeal (which I don't even like) and drink about 16 ounces of water. Uh, I don't like getting up at 7 am to get on a bike let alone get up at 5 am to eat and drink? This is why I'm not a marathon runner...because you have to do things like this...plus the running part too. :)

Next Saturday we're supposed to go 35 miles so we'll see how that goes. I will say that before the utter exhaustion sets in, I really enjoy riding along with Nick and listening to great music on my ipod. It always makes me giggle when my music is between songs and I can hear Nick behind me singing loudly along with his ipod. :) I'm really proud of him too for sticking with this goal to get his cycling merit badge. I think I might request a badge of my own after this is over. :)

Nick on a cliff bar break to keep the energy up. :)

This was Nick's favorite part of our ride last week...the cows! :) Like father like son! :)


2 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you for training with Nick! And I am with you - what's the point of getting up at 5 a.m. just to drink water? Then you would have to "use the facilities" in the middle of your ride....

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya.. I'm definitely not dedicated enough to anything where I have to get up at 5..

    You are good, and are turning into my idol.. :)

    ReplyDelete