Thursday, April 30, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Since it is Teacher Appreciation Week at the kids school this week it's only natural I'm thinking about how great the kids' teachers have been this year. The year started out a little rough for Hailey as her teacher changed 1 day before school started from the teacher she was originally assigned. About 3 weeks into the school year I realized her class was not an ideal situation and if she was going to learn anything this year we needed to change teachers. I'm not the kind of parent who requests teachers for their kids or makes these kinds of changes...we usually leave it to the schools discretion and we've always had very good experiences. In fact, most of the time the kids don't get the teacher they were hoping for but end up feeling so lucky they got the one they did. This, however, was not the case and I was very concerned that Hailey wouldn't get what she needed to out of her 4th grade year. So the principal finally agreed to change her and we have loved the teacher she was transferred into. She was so great about helping Hailey through the change and making her feel very comfortable in the new classroom. The transition was very difficult for Hailey but because of the sensitivity of this teacher she transitioned very quickly and felt comfortable much quicker than she otherwise would have.

I admire teachers so much and think they have one of the most difficult and "patience required" jobs on the planet. I am thankful that my kids have been so blessed to have such good teachers throughout their elementary school experience so far!

1 comment:

  1. You won't be surprised by this, Julie, but I am that mom who always researches Libby's teachers. For kindergarten, I demanded the teacher who I heard was patient and loving, and I found out this year, a fine teacher. Of course. Libby is in private school, so I had more leeway, I guess. Just know I cheered for you and Hayley and her current teacher! I am already researching her first grade teachers. I will try to learn from you, too, to relax a little more about it.

    ReplyDelete