Sunday, June 14, 2009

Sometimes you "Take One for the Team"

So as some of you know, our family got our first dog a couple years ago and it lasted all of 3 months. We picked the most playful, hyper one of the litter and lived to regret not picking the one that sat quietly on Hailey's lap for the hour we were there. When we got him home, we named him Toby and the kids loved him. However, they couldn't really pet him or sit with him because he was constantly biting and jumping and being a maniac. He was a Cockapoo mix and unfortunately he had a lot of the cocker spaniel in him so Nick ended up being allergic to him. After selling Toby we decided that we liked the "idea" of a dog more than the actual "having" of a dog. :) I promptly announced we found out we weren't "dog people" and we went on with life.

Well, my kids love of dogs has re-ignited and in the last few months they have spent a great deal of time trying to convince Brian and I that we need to try again. I kept reminding them that we are not dog people. But as they showed us pictures of the cute little puppies for sale I could see Brian starting to cave. As they were looking at pictures the other night my jaw hit the ground as I heard Brian say, "We need to get that one." The kids went wild and looked over at me to see if I was as convinced as Brian (because they're very bright kids and know that mom makes all the final decisions.) :) I thought about it all night, spent an hour on the phone with the woman selling them, and continued thinking about it the next morning. I finally decided I had to take one for the team here...afterall I was outvoted 3-1. So after a VERY detailed responsibility lecture I made the call. We are now the proud owners of the cutest little maltipoo named Rocko and we think we really picked a winner this time. He is mild tempered, sleeps great all night in his kennel, has not had an accident in the house yet, and will sleep on the kids lap as they pet him. He is also very fun to play with...we really think we hit the jackpot. As I was cuddling him and loving him last night Nick says to me, "See mom, we ARE dog people." :)

One very excited little girl with her new puppy.

An equally excited boy with his new puppy.

Introducing Rocko to our bunny Nibbles. They really just ignored each other.


Who could not love that little fluffball in the grass? :)



Hailey & Rocko




Rocko running to Brian. He kind of hops as he runs...so cute!

Nick and Brian trying to grab Nibbles to get him back in his cage.


Nick got him.


Hailey hanging out on the patio with Rocko.

Happy boy!









5 comments:

  1. Wow! You are now dog people! That is amazing - and Rocko is super cute. I cannot wait to meet him.

    Who picked the name?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hang on.. not copper??

    so cute!

    we took walter to your parents today, and he was great.. just recently he has turned into a calm, indoor dog.. finally!!

    your mom even said, "this is the kind of dog we need"

    i was a little tempted to leave him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love our dog! Thank you so Much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Julie, the firt half of your dog story is ours, too. We got a raging hyper lunatic Scottish terrier. After 8 months of torment, we found him a wonderful new home. I am still saying "We aren't a dog family" and got Libby a kitten for her birthday last year from the Humane Society.

    What if our story follows yours? Oh no! I am not even close to that. I have learned from the poor way I chose the wacky dog--blindly--but cannot get to yes on it. I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie, thanks for your comment on my blog about Jodi Brown. Isn't it the most remarkable story? Her welcome home was vintage Utah--like missionary homecomings used to be at the SLC airport--full of loving people, balloons, signs, cakes, cheers, and warmth. Made me a little homesick for that good ol' state.

    ReplyDelete