Thursday, July 30, 2009

Thankful Thursday

Today I am thankful for my health and the opportunity I have to do activities with my kids. Nick and I have been biking together a lot lately and we have started increasing the mileage. Although I am not in the best shape of my life, I am grateful that I am healthy and active enough to keep pace with my son. What a neat opportunity it is to set our goals for our rides, map out the mileage and route and accomplish it together. The first time we went on one of our rides he had to walk his bike up part of one of the hills we had to go on. But how neat it was a few days ago to glance behind me as we're trekking up a hill and see him pumping hard still on his bike and making it to the top. We both wahoo'd loudly at the accomplishment and went on to ride 13 1/2 miles and even had to come back to the same gully at the end of the ride and we made it up the other side of that darn hill together again. We woot wooted together and my heart swelled at the moment I got to share with my boy. I can tell he's on the verge of leaving me in the dust on these rides but I'm so grateful for the moments we can share like this.

It's also been awesome to be at the pool with the kids and walk up the million stairs to the big slide with them over and over...okay so they walk up those stairs way more than I do, and there's not quite a million, but I'm grateful for the opportunities to do that with them.

Brian's always been a great example to the rest of us for being active with all of his running and he has really inspired the kids. Hailey went on one of our rides with us that was about 8 miles and it really gave the kids an appreciation for how far that really is and they kept talking about how awesome it is that dad ran 26 miles while we were exhausted after biking 8. (But in our defense we live in a hilly area and it was a very hilly 8 miles...and Brian's marathon was downhill down a canyon so it's probably about equal...hahahahaha) :)

But I'm thankful for good enough health to do these things with my kids. I value everyone of these moments with them because they are growing up so fast and I'm not going to have these opportunities forever.

1 comment:

  1. I am in awe. 13-mile bike rides, WOW. You amaze me.

    ReplyDelete