Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mothers Day to Me!

Whether it's Mothers Day or not, I always feel very blessed to be a mother. On every questionnaire I filled out as a kid when it asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I always put mother. Sometimes I would add airline stewardess, hair stylist, or something more important sounding along with mother, but mother was always there. It has lived up to every expectation I ever had! I know that my life would not feel complete without my children and I truly cherish the awesome responsibility of raising children in this world...sleepless nights and all.

When you're growing up you picture the "ideal" family situation...but as we know, life is seldom "ideal". I am grateful, however, for my "non-ideal" family situation...otherwise I would not have the opportunity of knowing my incredible step-son Bryson. He was 3 when I married his dad and I felt very lucky to have met him so young in life and relished the opportunity of being a part of most of his life. I pictured us quickly growing into a happy little family that was "meant to be". I quickly had my rose colored glasses ripped off my head and stomped into the ground by him...hahaha. He was a very rambunctious, stubborn, opinionated, high energy child and there were times when I wondered what in the world I got myself into. :) But never once did I question the "rightness" of the situation. I loved him, I loved his dad, and I loved the family we were becoming...even all the bumps along the way. I must admit though that life is much calmer now that he is 18 verses when he was a preteen trying to exert his independence from all of us. :) We are very proud of the man he is becoming and I am loving the many long talks we are having as he is about to graduate from high school and start the next phase of his life in the marines. I could not love this kid more. Through all the ups and downs of step parent/child relationships I have loved this boy as if he were my own and at times it has been hard for me to "share" him with his mother. He has truly been a blessing in my life and has taught me many valuable life lessons I would not have learned otherwise!

This picture is at his last track meet but I was so caught up in cheering him that he didn't end up being in any of the pictures I took of them running...I guess you actually have to look through the camera to make sure it's pointed where you think it's pointed. :) He is the one in the starting blocks on the far left.
I am also grateful beyond words for Nick and Hailey. Nick came into this world in high dramatic fashion 9 weeks early. He was 3 lbs 13 oz and we were told to expect him to be in the newborn ICU for at least 2 months. But he was an overachiever and came home 3 weeks from the day he was born. :) He endured 2 major foot surgeries...one at 5 months and another one at 18 months old to correct the club foot he was born with. Even though his feet have ended up being 2 sizes different and his "little foot" as he calls it does not have the strength in it that his other foot has, he has not let this slow him down one bit in life. He has participated in any sport he's wanted to and thinks it's cool to have different sized feet. :)

Hailey came into this world screaming for 2 hours straight and has continued to be our very vocal child...inside our home. To the outside world, she has been shy and introverted but over the last year or so I've watched her come out of her shell and and have more confidence in being herself to the outside world as well. :) It's neat to watch her blossom as she hits the pre-teen years but I have this feeling that she might give me a run for my money in her teenage years...only because she's a lot like me. :) I'm sure my mother will be thrilled to watch the pay back happen for my teenage years. :) I am grateful though for her strong personality as I think kids need that in this day and age to make it through the tough situations life throws at them.





I love being Nick and Hailey's mom and I love being Bryson's stepmom. I am grateful to Brian for giving me the life I always dreamed of growing up!





1 comment:

  1. You are a wonderful mother. I have watched you grow up and become not only a great wife and mother but a truely sensational person. I love you dearly and wish with all my heart that we lived closer. If we did we would both have alot of laugh wrinkles and we would think each other was the funniest ever (ya, because we are).

    ReplyDelete