Thursday, November 5, 2009

Thankful Thursday

This is more like a Halloween post then a Thankful Thursday post but I am very thankful that the kids had a fun and safe Halloween! I am also thankful for the lesson I learned in being patient and going with the flow with my daughter this year. I don't know why I expect it to be different every year, but each year as Halloween approaches and I ask Hailey what she wants to be for Halloween I should just come to expect that what she originally decides and what she actually is are ALWAYS going to be different. :) She is not big on dressing up so we try to come up with something that won't require an elaborate costume. I thought I had it nailed this year when I suggested she be a Jazz Fan (the Utah Jazz basketball team for those that live outside of Utah and aren't big into sports). :) She was excited about that at first and we bought a plain blue sweatshirt from Walmart and used fabric paints to write "Go Jazz" on it, we got blue hair spray and face crayons to write Jazz on her cheeks and we had some wrist bands and a head band that have the Utah Jazz logo on them. Simple enough right? Well she wore that to a church party but the morning of the Halloween Parade at school she said she didn't want to be a Jazz fan anymore. My first reaction was to get frustrated that once again I wasted money buying anything for her for Halloween. But I took a deep breath and just tried to support her new ideas she was coming up with and I thought she ended up with something pretty creative that allowed her to stay within her comfort zone of not wanting to "dress up". She got a white face crayon and drew a milk mustache on her upper lip and made a sign to wear that said, "Got Milk?" I NEVER would've thought of that!!! :)

The funniest costume we saw this year though was our neighbor Travis who dressed up like Woody Harrelson's character in the movie Kingpin. (I can't remember his name.) Travis actually shaved the middle of his head bald and glued his longer hair across the top for a comb over...it was HYSTERICAL!!!!!

His right hand is a fake hand with the big championship bowling ring on it just like in the movie. Needless to say when I saw Travis out in his driveway yesterday his whole head is now shaved bald...I guess he didn't want to keep the comb over look. :)
Rocko even got in on the act this year and dressed up. Brian walked around with Hailey and her friends for trick or treating so he took Rocko with him. :)

This is Hailey and her friends when they came to our door trick or treating. The funny thing is I didn't recognize the shorter girl dressed up like Twister so I just assumed she was one of the others girls friends or cousin or something but I found out afterwards that she just came to the door at the same time and they didn't actually know her. :) She was nice enough to pose for the picture though. lol


Nick and his friends getting ready to go out trick or treating.



This obviously has nothing to do with Halloween but I thought it was so funny that Hailey had Rocko sitting on his bum on her lap while she was playing the piano with his paws. :)




1 comment:

  1. Completely charming and insightful post! Hayley's Got Milk idea was utterly creative--to say nothing of simple and free. yOu gave me so many costume ideas for next year in this post--thanks.

    ReplyDelete