Monday, January 12, 2009

Don't Wait...

This is one of those lessons we learn in life that anything you feel the need to do...do it now! My kids told me a couple months ago that they loved the crossing guard that is right out in front of the school. (There's another one that's down the street a little ways.) But the one in front of the school was especially great to them because she was extra nice and very friendly. She obviously made enough of an impression on them that they told me their feelings about her. At the time I didn't even know her name but I waved to her whenever I was at the school and thought a lot about her dependability because she has been there EVERY DAY since my kids started there...come rain, sun, sleet, or complete blizzard as we often have here in the winter. She was ALWAYS there. At Christmas time I thought I should get her a little bag of candy or some kind of gift from each of the kids to thank her for how great she was. But because I take my kids to school when it's yucky weather and I couldn't just "send something with the kids" for her, I never got around to making the extra effort to stop and give her something. I just admired her dedication silently from my car as I watched her helping the kids across the street.

Last Thursday I was stopped in line in front of her big red stop sign and I was regretting the fact I never made that effort and watching how she talked to just about every kid that came across that street and again thinking she was great. That night, she died. We don't know how yet but she was only 34 years old with 4 kids (2 of which go to my kids school) but it was obviously sudden and out of the blue leaving everyone stunned. So I am left to kick myself for never making the effort. So my advice is MAKE THE EFFORT...DON'T WAIT. You never know when it will be too late. I know her name now...it was Erica.

Okay so now on a lighter note...Nick informed me the other day he wishes his last name was Black so he is now signing all his emails he sends me...Nick Black. What the heck is that about??? :-)

2 comments:

  1. That is so.. sad.. I'm sorry.. being the queen of procrastination, I understand this feeling well.. I would probably some kind of amazing person if I acted on all my.. "I should do this" feelings.. Thanks so much for the reminder!

    The Nick thing? Pretty much hilarious.. Just call him that! (is it like a Jack Black thing?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person who sent me that kind of message this week. The mom of Libby's friend Richard (6) suddenly lost her husband, Richard's father, 4 years ago. Like you, she said, "So now I don't wait to do exciting things with my son. I saved up and we're going on a cruise over spring break."

    All I know is Nick Black is COOL name--and very funny that he uses it.

    ReplyDelete