Friday, July 2, 2010

Walk of Shame

Today I geared up in my new biking shorts and shirt and Nick and I headed out for a long ride. Nick, Brian and I are now officially signed up to participate in the Bike the Bear bike ride in August. It is 50 miles around Bear Lake and it will be the last thing Nick needs to do for his cycling merit badge.

As some of you know, Nick and I biked quite a bit together last summer with some rides around 17-18 miles or so. That's pretty much the farthest I've ever gone, although Nick has gone further when he'd ride his bike with Brian for his long marathon-training runs. And now he has an awesome new bike that has better gears so he's basically leaving me in the dust...how fun. So far this summer we're averaging about 10-15 miles on our rides. So as we head out this morning we decide to try a different route and head over to Thanksgiving Point. About 5 miles into the ride I am NOT feeling good and I am really regretting the big bowl of Honey Bunches of Oats I had for breakfast right before we left on our ride...MISTAKE!!! By this point I'm feeling so bad that I'm thinking I'm either having a heart attack or I'm going to throw up. Well, luckily it wasn't the heart attack...but yep...it was the other. Poor Nick had to stand there while his mom is losing her breakfast in the weeds...awesome! Nick quietly asks, "Should we call someone to come pick us up?" I tell him I'm feeling a little better now so we head on our way. A few rotations of the tires later I'm realizing I still don't feel very good and it was going to be a long ride home. Once we get to a point where he knows where we are I send him ahead and tell him it's going to take me awhile. At the bottom of about a quarter mile steadily inclining hill I get off my bike to start my walk of shame...nobody wants to be seen walking beside their bike!!!! As I'm half way up our street (which of course is another hill so I'm walking again) Hailey comes tearing down the street in her pajamas on her bike to make sure I'm still alive.

Let's hope the rides are better from here on out or I'm going to be cheering at the finish line for Nick and Brian!!!

1 comment:

  1. That title pulled me right in! No matter what, you are a trooper. I can only imagine how crumby you felt.My favorite image is of Hailey zooming down to see if you are still alive:)

    ReplyDelete